Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 004

Start: 5:21am
Weather: Cool and Rainy
Time/Distance/Pace: 0:13:59 - 1.51 miles - 9:17
RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/user/cadebro/activity/57719672


Thoughts: I started out stiff and my hands quickly became numb with the cool temperature and rain. I figured it would be a difficult run, even though I prefer running in the rain. Lately, (because of my knees) I make sure I have a day off between runs. My left knee bothered me yesterday from running Monday and Tuesday. But, within a quarter of a mile I had loosened up and felt quite good. On the return of my out-and-back run I started to think about a conversation I had with a fellow runner about the minimalist style of running. On a whim I shortened my stride, leaned forward slightly and concentrated on landing less on my heal and more on the middle of my foot. It seemed awkward and I certainly felt like I was working harder, but instantly my knee stopped hurting. Walking back to the house post-run I pondered whether the release of pain was psychological or that I've been hyper-extending my knee while running and shortening my stride prevented that. I don't necessarily want to be taken by the minimalist craze (though the theory behind it makes perfect sense to me) and with my limited knowledge in the subject and the fact that I'm training for a marathon, now is probably not the best time to be adjusting my gait. But, I think I will look into it more.


Tip: Seapoint Farms shelled edamame make a great ice pack. The edamame don't freeze together like most vegetables so they conform to the shape of your sore area. The packaging is tougher than typical frozen vegetable plastic. Also, they're almost guaranteed to not be eaten by your family.


Total Training Distance: 6.02 miles
Total Training Time: 0D 0:58:08
2AB2ZQHRETTM

No comments:

Post a Comment